From Tigit Jon’s perspective –
I am going to have to throw in one location and one activity. These are controversial choices! Keep in mind, I have lived here for 9+ years and I am definitely a “cynical Expat”.
- Mui Ne beach is mostly eroded away unless paying a premium for resorts with private beaches. Even so, I don’t consider this perfect coastline.
- It is a small location that focuses on kite surfing, the other tours there are mostly gimmicky.
The Hai Van Pass:
- Short (only 3 hours of actual driving)
- The views are great, but nothing compared to other areas Vietnam offers.
- The alternate route is one of the best in the country, yet everyone is on the Hai Van Pass.
- Full of cheap throw away and dangerous scooters run by backstreet cowboy rental companies.
- Full of backpackers that can’t drive and shouldn’t be on the road.
- The notoriety of this route minimizes what Vietnam actually offers to an adventure seeker.
- The Hai Van Pass is not the pinnacle of Vietnam and so the acclaimed fame of this road is not beneficial to the industry.
One Reply to “What is the most over-rated place in Vietnam?”
FWIW I am one of those silly backpackers who found the Hai Van Pass incredible. To think there are better vistas in Vietnam than this one is incredible. But then, I only spent two weeks in Central Vietnam. I saw Hue, Da Nang and Hoi An. Still one of the best motorbike rides I ever experienced.