Rent And Drive A Scooter Vietnam – Popular Choices
Outside these backpackers areas, companies with online reputations tend to use scooters that are genuine Honda semi-automatics or automatics such as the semi-automatic Honda Wave, automatic Honda Airblade or Honda Vision.
The rental prices between the cheap backpacker bikes and the genuine scooters are similar. The reason being that cheap bikes are more expensive to maintain for the rental company. However, the financial damages to the rental company when Chinese motorbikes are lost/stolen are far less than the damages when the bike is genuine. Deposits on Chinese motorbikes also tend to be much lower.
Motorbike Cost Vietnam?
Chinese motorbikes or Yamaha Nouvo 1/2/3 automatics have a street value of $150-300.
A rental company operating with these models will usually take a deposit of 1-million VND.
The rent is 5-10usd a day, or 1 million VND a month. Read our related post for a full list of monthly rentals and outright purchases.
Once the deposit and rent is paid, the renter has paid nearly 1/4 the value of the scooter!
The reputable companies will use Honda semi automatics with a value between $500-800 or Honda automatics with a value of around $1000.
Deposit requirements are usually stricter and higher, ranging from 3-million dong to 5-million dong ($150-$500) and usually combined with a small background check.
Passport deposits are also commonly accepted with a Vietnam Visa, but drivers licenses are not.
Travellers often assume that rental companies are desperate for business, however, the good companies operate no differently from traditional car rentals and often perform background checks on potential customers.
A Quality Rental Company Looks For The Best Customers,
As Much As A Quality Customer Looks For The Best Rental Company.
Renting A Quality Scooter From A Reputable Company.
- Quality models rarely breakdown! The Yamaha Nouvo and Chinese motorbikes have a low street value because they are old and prone to breakdowns, locals don’t want them. For a rental company, these bikes are high maintenance and stressful! Arguments are common as one breakdown will cost the rental company more than the daily rent. Blame is often put on the customer.
- No holiday interruptions. For the customer, a breakdown is incredibly inconvenient and often results in lost travel time and more money spent on things like taxis to get out of a bad situation.
- Better fuel consumption. Fuel consumption is much higher on the old models. Modern Airblade scooters use fuel injection technology that is significantly more economical than old designs.
- Feel, performance and handling of a quality scooter shines through with modern bikes.
- Cheaper to fix when crashed! A common fight rental companies and customers have is oversized bills with crashes. A $300 scooter requiring $100+ in crash damage seems an illogical rip-off…. but it isn’t! Parts are harder to find and cheap replacements lower the value. Money is also lost while the bike sits.
- Fair, reliable damage quotes. Modern bikes are quick and easy to fix in Yamaha, Suzuki or Honda stores. Yamaha, Honda and Suzuki can act as a 3rd party source for damage quotes and the customer does not need to fight or negotiate with the rental company!
- Theft. Having your motorcycle stolen is a big concern for travelers in a place like Vietnam. Security guys are everywhere and hotels often bring motorbikes inside. Armed with the correct knowledge, there is no reason or excuse for getting a motorcycle stolen in Vietnam. Read our related article on parking and motorbike security.
Vietnam Motorbike Rental – What To Know & What To Watch Out For
- Value. Understand the value of the motorcycle you’re renting. Not all bikes are equal and they definitely aren’t all worth $300.Your contract will explain the value of the motorcycle. If it doesn’t, ask or get it in writing.
- Security. Learn the parking and security concerns in Vietnam and how to use them. A reputable company will explain this to you to avoid theft.
- Know your market. Not all countries are created equal. Thailand has developed a bad reputation for ripping off travelers with crash damage and theft scams. This reputation has been unfairly passed to Vietnam and South-East Asia in general. Overall the market remains to be relatively fair and safe, and most arguments are caused by travelers not understanding the rental companies’ position.
What A Quality Scooter Rental Company Offers.
- Multi-city locations. A company with different city locations like Ho Chi Minh, Danang and Hanoi make pick up, drop off and services easier.
- Upfront honesty. Clear contracts and set prices for reliable and genuine bikes means there is no guesswork when renting.
- Quality scooters and motorcycles. The right company will have pre-selected the models and brands that perform best for a traveler’s needs.
- Travel insurance for your scooter. Rather than worrying about what to do in the event of a crash, your rental company should offer a damage waiver that covers all parts on your motorbike in the event of a crash.
- Competitive with prices. No one wants to pay more and deals too good to be true probably are. The right company knows it’s better for the customer and their business to deal with a modern fleet of bikes.
- Reliable business structure. The best rental companies aim to create a rental environment that replicates traditional car rentals from back home, where the vehicle usually doesn’t break down and you can expect great customer service!
If you’re looking to know more about quality scooter rentals, Tigit motorbikes in Vietnam has a wide source of information on motorcycle routes, things to do, the best time of year to visit, weather, and more.